May 10, 2012

התערוכה שלי בתיאטרון ירושלים .My exhibition in the "Jerusalem Theatre"



It's 00.20 and I'm working on my C.V. + the list of names for my work. I think I'll call it a day...or not...
Suddenly I realise my exhibition is due in a week and I haven't sent even one invitation.... Lucky it's exhibited at the same time as the "Israel Festival " so it may be exposed to a larger audience....
I Like giving my work names. Most of the time it completes the ideas that aren't always obvious in my art work: "Clear blue sky"..."James bond Is alive and well"....well I'm not really sure it allows the audience to fully understand my own associations but still I have fun naming my work.
 I just like "words". I like to analyse their meaning. I often search for the meaning of a certain word I just "encountered" and since I speak several languages I try my luck in understanding the meaning of it ,by various associative techniques. At times I'm lucky and I "pull"  the right meaning and at others I realise my associations swept me into an imaginary world of  meanings...
Well...were was I?
"Out of Context"? Is it a coincidence I chose it as the name of my exhibition?

context [ˈkɒntɛkst]

1. the parts of a piece of writing, speech, etc., that precede and follow a word or passage and contribute to its full 
2. the conditions and circumstances that are relevant to an event, fact, etc.

[from Latin contextus a putting together, from contexereto interweave, from com- together + texere to weave, braid]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003
meaning it is unfair to quote out of context
I really like this explanation for the word "context". The fact that "texere" means "to weave" in Latin is exactly what I do in my work. I take all the images and words that I cut out of their primary context (images in newspapers books catalogues...) and try to weave them into a coherent work.
Most of my childhood I sort of felt "Out of context". Not an unhappy "out of context" but still out.
Although my father was a Diplomat and we lived abroad, it was clear to me I was Israeli. Israeli in my roots, my state of mind, my way of percieving life. At home we spoke in Hebrew .We lived an Israeli-Jewish life as a family , whereas outdoors we spoke English, Italian, French. We read signs  in foreign languages and ate all sorts of strange food. 
We visited Museums, Churches, Lakes ...We  spent time with French or Italian speaking aquaintaces, and befriended children who stopped in front of a niche with a Madonna and crossed themselves, run away from the angry concierge that spotted us treding on the grass...
yes, "I feel out of context" is the right expression.
Or was I ever "In Context"??

2 comments:

  1. יקירה
    כל כך שמחים בשבילך על התערוכה
    וכפי שאת מנחשת - לא נוכל להגיע לפתיחה
    וגם הסיכוי להמשך נראה קלוש בחודש שבוע הספר
    תצלמי הרבה שנוכל להנות אח"כ
    נשיקות
    מיכל ויובל

    ReplyDelete
  2. תודה יקירי. אבקש כמובן מגיל לצלם. אתפנה אח"כ לתחקר על ניו-יורק.. נשיקות

    ReplyDelete


you might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...