Sep 7, 2011

My trip to Bruxelles or Were did all the "Patisseries" disappear?



        The "Magritte like" clouds, and the view of the church tower situated in the
 Grande Place ,were an adequate welcome to Bruxelles, for me and my sister, after 20 years of absence.
       We were both invited by our mother to join her for a nostalgic trip to Bruxelles, were the two of us were born. And I admit, as shallow as it may seem, I was determined to make it a "Patisserie" trip...
Images of endless pastries ; croissants, tartelettes, madeleines and other sweet tastes invaded my subconscious. And that was all I could think of....
Well, my fantasy wasn't fulfilled....
I remember as a child, on every street corner you would find a pastry shop. Walking back from school we would make a hobby of stopping at every shop and trying a "pain au chocolat" or a "chausson aux pommes".
 This was no longer the case. To my surprise and disappointment I literally had to hunt for  "patisserie"s. And when I did find one, It was French...


It appears that during my absence, the Chocolate shops  invaded the city, leaving the pastry tradition on the sidewalk. It's not that I don't like chocolate, I really do. Every break we used to smell the scent of the famous Cote d'or chocolate from our school courtyard, and I was very much impressed by the design of the chocolate boutique "Pierre Marcolini".



 But nothing and I insist nothing, can compete with a "Tarte aux framboises" in Wittamer.




No comments:

Post a Comment


you might also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...